Monday, June 8, 2009

Dark Night of the Scarecrow & Peanut Butter

I'm a TVholic and not ashamed to admit it. I go to the sleep watching Cartoon Network because it doesn't go to Paid Programming and I can always wake up in the middle night, watch TV, then go back to sleep. (Did I mention I wear glasses and I sleep in them to facilitate this action?)

I developed this habit as a child as our family life revolved around the TV. We usually ate our dinner in our laps watching TV unless it was learn to use silverware properly or from the parents' mistake night then we ate around the dinner table.

One night CBS had a TV movie on and it was some kind of special event. They promoted the heck out of that thing and as a child in second grade all of 6 years old I wanted to stay up late to see it. My bedtime in elementary school was 8:00 p.m. which was right before the made for TV movies came on. Plus, I had to take a bath and get ready for bed before that time. This movie however was on a Friday, a stay up night so I could see it all the way through.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow was a great movie - so super scary it made you jump and hide behind your hands as you saw the poor innocent man who helped the young girl get away from the vicious dog only to be murdered inside a scarecrow who later kills the posse members who hunted him down.

To celebrate the night my mother fixed homemade peanut butter cookies. This was a rariety in our house because my mother was allergic to peanut butter. It made that movie stick in my mind and when I came across a recipe for flourless PB cookies from Joy the Baker I had to try it. Will update with results later but here is the link

No comments: